Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Beautiful Antique Clothing!

We had a great time! There were so many beautiful articles of clothing at this show. I was truly impressed with the quality of the fabric that so many of these antique garments were made of. Such fine, delicate batiste. How I wish I could find fabric like that today! I saw a lot of armistice style blouses there. Some were plain, although still beautiful, but then there were some that I held for a long time, trying to memorize the details and the lace patterning. It was just heavenly getting to not only look at these items, but also to hold them and marvel at their construction. There were many childrens/infant clothing in batiste as well. The details were just incredible. To think that all of the time and attention to detail was done for a garmet that would so quickly be grown out of.

There were also garments like this Edwardian dress. The woman who owns this display was kind enough to let me photograph this dress. It was absolutely beautiful!


I wish that I could have taken pictures of everything there, but that was not an option, unfortunately. Mae-Marie kept touching everything, marvelling over how wonderful everything felt.

There were pieces of antique lace, bolts of fabric, quilts, dolls, etc. The show only lasts one day, and we saw all that we were able in that amount of time. Now that I know what to expect, next time I attend I will be well prepared. The prices on many things were quite reasonable, so I will have to set aside a budget for the next show.



Mae-Marie and Clara (my mother-in-law)
We had a really good day together. Halfway through the day we took a break and had lunch at a cute restaurant in Sturbridge. They have a wonderful salad there that has a wonderful mixture of greens, chicken and cranberries. I have grown extremely fond of cranberries, so it was a special treat. My father-in-law, Al, spent the day with the boys at home, so it was nice to have a "girls day out." The only thing missing from this day was my oldest daughter, Sarah, who had to go back to Maryland at the beginning of August. Perhaps next year, we can plan to attend one during the time she will be with us.

No comments: